- Aam Aadmi Party to send daily photographs of garbage and litter to the mayorsPosted 3 weeks ago
- Arvind Kejriwal will address e-rickshaw drivers at Jantar Mantar on Oct. 8Posted 4 weeks ago
- Arvind Kejriwal urged people of Delhi to give AAP at least 50 seatsPosted 1 month ago
- Arvind Kejriwal meets Nitin Gadkari over e-rickshaw issuePosted 2 months ago
- Aam Aadmi Party releases sting’s raw footagePosted 2 months ago
- Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal will meet President Pranab Mukherjee todayPosted 2 months ago
- AAP Ki Mahila Shakti completes first target of Vidhan Sabha level committeesPosted 2 months ago
- AAP demands that the government should withdraw the notification of the home ministryPosted 3 months ago
- Arvind Kejriwal made the announcement of setting up of a women’s wing in DelhiPosted 3 months ago
- Arvind Kejriwal asked LG Najeeb Jung to dissolve the Delhi Assembly within seven daysPosted 3 months ago
About Arvind Kejriwal
Arvind Kejriwal (born 16 August 1968) is an Indian politician and social activist. Born in Haryana, Kejriwal is a graduate of the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, where he studied Mechanical Engineering. He is a former Indian Revenue Service (IRS) and former Joint Commissioner in theIncome Tax Department. He is well known for his role in drafting janlokpal bill and his efforts to bring and implement the Right to Information (RTI) act at grassroots level.
Kejriwal won the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Emergent Leadership in 2006 for his contribution to the enactment of the Right to Information Act and for his efforts to empower the poorest citizens of India. In 2006, after resigning from the IRS, he donated his Magsaysay award money as a corpus fund to found an NGO, Public Cause Research Foundation. In November 2012, he launched a political party named Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
Arvind Kejriwal was born in Siwani, Haryana, on 16 August 1968, to Gobind Ran Kejriwal and Gita Devi, a well-educated and financially well-off couple. He has a younger sister and brother. His father was an electrical engineer who graduated from the Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, and whose work led to several moves of address. Kejriwal did not spend long at Siwani and most of his childhood passed in north Indian towns such as Sonepat, Ghaziabad and Hisar. He was educated at Campus School in Hisar.
Kejriwal studied mechanical engineering at IIT Kharagpur and then from 1989 he worked for Tata Steel. He left that job in 1992, having previously taken leave of absence in order to study for civil service examinations, and spent some time in Kolkata, at the Ramakrishna Mission in North-East India and at Nehru Yuva Kendra.
Kejriwal joined the Indian Revenue Service later in 1992 after qualifying through the Civil Services Examination. In February 2006, he resigned from his position of Joint Commissioner in the Income Tax Department.
Arvind Kejriwal is married to Sunita, who is also an IRS officer and his batchmate from National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie. The couple have two children, a daughter, Harshita, and a son, Pulkit. Kejriwal is a vegetarian. Although he ate meat for a few months in college, he later gave it up. He has been practicing Vipassana for many years.